one-parent one-language/Grammont's principle

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Tue Apr 19 14:15:11 UTC 2005

Dear Infochildes,

To add a little to the discussion of one-
parent/one-language.
I believe Margaret Deuchar and Suzanne Quay
bring up the lack of evidence in favor of
1-parent/1-language. In their study, both
parents used both languages (although they were
pretty strict about separating the language
by context (home, school, grandmom's house, etc).
On the other hand, 1-p/1-l's tenaciousness as a
folk principle attests to the fact that it
generally works.  The question becomes whether
it is the only practice that works--and it clearly
isn't.

In our work in Miami, many of the parents were
bilinguals and went comfortably back and forth
between languages.  Our recent analyses show that--
as Hazel indicates, the issue might be one of
how much support each language gets. If parents
split their input, they will likely favor the
majority language and that will have the effect
of decreasing support for the minority language.
Then, if that language doesn't get enough input,
the children won't be as bilingual as their
parents. So our kids were usually served by having some
monolingual caretakers.  They may not have been
served by their not switching, so much as by
getting more (minority) input.

I can't tell from the titles of Hazel's work
what her methodology is, but it would be great
to see some empirical work with Betty's
question as an explicit focus.

Our evidence here is "anecdotal"--but we found
that language impaired children had equally rough
times in both languages (we had one or two bilingual
Downs Syndrome children in the parent study--not in
our sample).  A couple of parents switched to
one language, but that wasn't a "cure."  We had
one case, though, where it ended up being useful.
I don't think we've spoken about one of our subjects
who developed a progressive hearing loss after
age 2, which wasn't really diagnosed until about
age 5.  Not surprisingly, she had trouble becoming
bilingual.  In her case, most of the early input
was in Spanish (she's an 85-15 child in our data)
--until age 2 when the parents wanted her to switch
to more English and arranged for more English input. It
was a mystery (at the time) why she did not respond
to more English--but I think the mystery has since
been solved (!) It was not a question of who gave
the input.

Still a very open question,
Till soon,
Barbara