one-parent one-language/Grammont's principle

Erika Hoff ehoff at fau.edu
Tue Apr 19 13:49:03 UTC 2005

As I report in my textbook, I looked and found no scientific basis for this
piece of advice. Of course, that doesn't make it false. However, the
research on bilingual infants' speech perception suggests that children
exposed to two languages are capable of distinguishing them on the basis of
phonological properties and don't need social indicators of which language
is being used.

As I read, Genesee, Crago, and Paradis's work on bilingual children with
language impairments it suggests that they have similar problems in both
their languages but not problems unique to being bilingual.

Erika Hoff