degrees in Rehab Sciences

Joan Luckhurst luckhurst at lasalle.edu
Tue Aug 30 17:39:55 UTC 2005

I've been reading with interest the discussions related to PhD degrees.  My own background includes undergraduate and master's degrees in Speech Pathology, with 30 yrs experience working primarily in school-based settings.  My PhD, however, is in Human Development, with a specialty in Educational Leadership.  The program I completed at Marywood University was interdisciplinary and allowed participants to chart their own course of research/interests.  It contained a common core of coursework in philosophy, ethics, research & statistics.  My personal opinion is that different related fields such as Rehab Sciences, Human Dev, Linguistics, Education all bring a much broader and more thorough understanding to the field of Communication Disorders (or Speech-Language Pathology or Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences).  I don't feel that my pursuit of a PhD in a related field in any way diminishes my  knowledge & skills in my chosen profession.  In fact, the focus on development of educational programs for adult learners (ergo: college students) has been a tremendous benefit to course development, policy & procedural development and development/refinement of student learning activities and grading rubrics.  One more comment related to linguistics:  I do agree that there is a need to include more depth and breadth of linguistics study in the field of Communication Disorders.  The diversity of our culture, the limitations of our assessment tools and the complexity of intervention needs demand it.

Joan A. Luckhurst, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Assistant Professor
La Salle University
Wister 220