No subject

tina.bennett tina.bennett at wichita.edu
Tue Aug 30 21:32:16 UTC 2005

My two cents' worth:

I have been drafted on numerous occasions
to serve on both doctoral committees in Commun. Dis.
and to direct readings for Ph.D. students
in that field. My doctorate is in linguistics,
emphasis developmental and discourse analysis--
and I am the daughter and grandaughter of Ph.D.'s
in speech path--, and I feel what I have to offer is a vital
portion of what our future doctors of SLP
need to know. I personally feel that SLP
students should take more basic linguistics
courses; at the same time, linguists (esp.
in developmental areas or in neuro- and psycholinguistics)
can benefit from observing what clinicians are
faced with and how they go about diagnosing and treating
problems in the communicative system. I am continually
humbled by the creativity and insight I have seen
coming from some of our top clinicians. I feel that
chairpersons and professors in SLP therefore need
not only be Ph.D's in SLP, but any allied field
which makes a significant contribution to our
understanding of speech, hearing, and language.

-Tina Bennett-Kastor