developmental psycholinguists IN speech pathology

Elena Zaretsky ezaretsky at comdis.umass.edu
Tue Aug 30 22:29:25 UTC 2005

I have been following this discussion and would like to add to it.  I do have master (and CCC's) in speech-language pathology and have been practicing before getting a PhD in Human Development. Part of the decision to have a PhD in allied field was my personal need to see a child with atypical language development as a "whole" and understand what are the contributing factors to the disorders.  It was the most wonderful process, not to mention having Jean Berko Gleason as my mentor.  Now I am a faculty member at the Department of Communication Disorders at UMass, Amherst, and among my distinguished colleagues we have two with PhD in linguistics.  It is, as Nan Ratner points out, what we can bring to the field of speech pathology in all aspects of teaching, treatment and research that matters, not the terminal degree.
Elena Zaretsky