[Fwd: Re: developmental psycholinguisitics IN speech pathology]

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Wed Aug 31 02:14:16 UTC 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: developmental psycholinguisitics IN speech pathology
Date: 	Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:13:19 -0400
From: 	Tom Roeper <roeper at linguist.umass.edu>
To: 	Dale, Philip S. <DaleP at health.missouri.edu>

Dear Folks,
   I am a linguist who works primarily in language acquisition.
Together with Jill
deVilliers and Harry Seymour, we have developed the DELV test from the
Psychological Corporation, which has just been released in a Normed form for
all children.
   This is, I think, relevant to this discussion, because this
assessment instrument
builds directly upon linguistic theory and the principles of Universal
Grammar.
We have shown that "long distance" rules, quantification, and a host of
other
phenomena are among the best indicators of disorders---often probing
problems
not recognized before.    Many of the experiments found in developmental
work have been translated into diagnostic procedures.
     If, as we hope, this test will rival CELF and others, it will
benefit enormously'

from havng speech pathologists who understand basic properties of Modern
inguistics so they have a sense of how to deal with problems and discuss
them
with parents.  It seems to me that if we are open in the ComDis
curriculum to
what is emerging not only in syntax, but phonology and semantics, there will
be a real windfall of benefits for ComDis and for the children and adults
treated.  So I would strongly encourage anyone to acquire as much education
as possible in these fundamental areas.  That is the word of an
outsider, but
it is supported by many insiders as well.

Tom Roeper