Information about a quote

aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 04:22:14 UTC 2005

Dear Brian

You're right in guessing that I wasn't invoking divinity. My metaphors
were festive season ones. But in order to extend the idea of new parts
from old to phenomena like binding, endocentricity, structure
dependency, I think that the old has to be both identifiable and such
as to help explain why things are the way they are. I just don't see
how this can be done so as to account for the main outlines of these
theories and various others. Take endocentricity and its most outward
appearance with edgemost maximal projections. In human perception
generally there seems to be a default expectation of symmetry. In
single-family dwellings built in Britain for the last 150 years, a
double-fronted layout is rare. But in a British child's picture of a
house, I have yet to see the normal terraced layout with the front door
on one side. The same preference for symmetry seems to be attested in
metaphor - with the centre favoured over the edges.

In both syntax and phonology, a symmetrical layout would be easy to
define, with words and sentences built strictly from the middle. But
whatever the number of cases where this might be appropriate, it seems
to me that they are so few in number, and that the preponderance of
asymmetry and directionality in headedness, Wh movement, syllable
structure, and more, should be treated as highly significant.

I make no guesses as to the likely triggering or rate of spread of
linguistic change. These seem to me to be some of the most fascinating
questions in linguistics. But from the extreme case of the school for
the deaf in Nicaragua, where an entirely new language is said to have
emerged in a single childhood, it seems to me that linguistic theory
must be at least capable of accounting for change at the wildfire end
of the scale rather than the glacial.

I certainly wasn't assuming that the speed of change might provide a
way of telling whether a given phenomenon was a case of new from old or
speculating as to how this might be done. None of the cases are simple.
  Obviously the argument needs to be in detail. I was allowing that
there might be a number of cases of new from old, and listed some cases
where this seems to me most plausible. I was suggesting only that the
new from old model may not be the only one, and that some changes may
have been just by the odd roll of the genetic dice - to get back to the
festive season,

Aubrey Nunes