Information about a quote

Lise Menn lise.menn at colorado.edu
Tue Dec 20 17:05:18 UTC 2005

small note: temporal and spatial symmetry should not be casually
equated. For spatial symmetry we can look back and forth from one
side to another; evolution-wide, being able to find the middle of a
gap automatically is very useful for getting thru narrow places with
minimal  bruising.  Temporal symmetry, with our fast-fading auditory
memories, is much less obvious, and that's the kind one would need
for structures.  the ability to consciously remember auditory
sequences is temporally asymmetrical, for sure -  what 's your
telephone number backwards?  And unconscious temporal processing is
probably similarly limited - mirror image rules are rare indeed.  We
don't have that particular kind of computational ability built in.

		Lise
On Dec 19, 2005, at 9:22 PM, aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk wrote:

> Dear Brian
>
> You're right in guessing that I wasn't invoking divinity. My
> metaphors were festive season ones. But in order to extend the idea
> of new parts from old to phenomena like binding, endocentricity,
> structure dependency, I think that the old has to be both
> identifiable and such as to help explain why things are the way
> they are. I just don't see how this can be done so as to account
> for the main outlines of these theories and various others. Take
> endocentricity and its most outward appearance with edgemost
> maximal projections. In human perception generally there seems to
> be a default expectation of symmetry. In single-family dwellings
> built in Britain for the last 150 years, a double-fronted layout is
> rare. But in a British child's picture of a house, I have yet to
> see the normal terraced layout with the front door on one side. The
> same preference for symmetry seems to be attested in metaphor -
> with the centre favoured over the edges.
>
> In both syntax and phonology, a symmetrical layout would be easy to
> define, with words and sentences built strictly from the middle.
> But whatever the number of cases where this might be appropriate,
> it seems to me that they are so few in number, and that the
> preponderance of asymmetry and directionality in headedness, Wh
> movement, syllable structure, and more, should be treated as highly
> significant.
>
> I make no guesses as to the likely triggering or rate of spread of
> linguistic change. These seem to me to be some of the most
> fascinating questions in linguistics. But from the extreme case of
> the school for the deaf in Nicaragua, where an entirely new
> language is said to have emerged in a single childhood, it seems to
> me that linguistic theory must be at least capable of accounting
> for change at the wildfire end of the scale rather than the glacial.
>
> I certainly wasn't assuming that the speed of change might provide
> a way of telling whether a given phenomenon was a case of new from
> old or speculating as to how this might be done. None of the cases
> are simple.  Obviously the argument needs to be in detail. I was
> allowing that there might be a number of cases of new from old, and
> listed some cases where this seems to me most plausible. I was
> suggesting only that the new from old model may not be the only
> one, and that some changes may have been just by the odd roll of
> the genetic dice - to get back to the festive season,
>
> Aubrey Nunes
>
> On 17 Dec 2005, at 21:18, Brian MacWhinney wrote:
>
>> Dear Aubrey,
>>
>>    Can you provide an example of an evolutionary "new idea" that
>> does not arise from old parts?  Without concrete examples of this,
>> I have no idea about how to distinguish canny marketing from crude
>> cannibalism.   Of course, intervention from a Divine Marketing
>> Department will work, but I don't assume that you have that in
> [...]

Lise Menn                      Office: 303-492-1609
Linguistics Dept.           Fax: 303-413-0017
295 UCB                         Hellems 293
University of Colorado
Boulder CO 80309-0295

Professor of Linguistics, University of  Colorado, University of Hunan
Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]

Office Hours Fall'05: Tues 2-3:30, Thurs 11-12
Lise Menn's home page
http://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/faculty/lmenn/

"Shirley Says: Living with Aphasia"
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/Shirley4.pdf