Liz Bates' Quote

htagerf at bu.edu htagerf at bu.edu
Fri Dec 16 17:07:29 UTC 2005

Here are the responses I received - thanks to everyone!

Maria Rosa Brea-Spahn, M.S., CCC-SLP:
Bates, E.  (2004). Explaining and interpreting deficits in language
development across clinical groups: Where do we go from here? Brain and
Language, 88, 248-253.

"Language may be a new machine that nature has constructed out of old parts"
p. 250

Elena Lieven:

In Bates & MacWhinney 1989, The Crosslinguistic Study of Language

Acquisition, p.10 they say:

"Language could be viewed as a new machine constructed entirely out of

old parts"

Erika Hoff:
language is "a new machine built out of old parts" in "Bates, Thal, &
Marchman (1991). Smbols and syntax: A darwinian approach ot language
development. In N. A. Krasnegor, D. M. Rumbaugh, R. L. Schiefelbusch, & M.
Studdert-Kennedy (Eds.), Biological and behavioral determints of language
development (pp. 29-66). <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Nillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. The
quote is on p. 5.

Ping Li:

"the human capacity for language could be both innate and species-specific,
and yet involve no mechanisms that evolved specifically and uniquely for
language itself. Language could be viewed as a new machine constructed
entirely out of old parts." (Bates & MacWhinney, 1989; see also Bates et
al., 1979).

Bates, E., Benigni, L., Bretherton, I., Camaioni, L., & Volterra, V. (1979).
The emergence of symbols: Cognition and communication in infancy. New York:
Academic Press.

Bates, E.& MacWhinney, B. (1989). Functionalism and the competition model,
In B. MacWhinney & E. Bates (Eds), The cross-linguistic study of sentence
processing (pp. 3-73).Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

Helen Tager-Flusberg, PhD
Professor, Anatomy & Neurobiology
Director, Lab of Cognitive Neuroscience ( www.bu.edu/autism
<http://www.bu.edu/autism> )