Liz Bates' Quote

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 22:16:36 UTC 2005

Dear Helen et al.,
     By the time Liz and I wrote the introductory chapter for our
1989 book, she had been using this particular phrasing for years in
her inimitably articulate way.
      The idea is fundamental to Darwin, but the source that she and
I thought was the clearest on this was Werner and Kaplan's Symbol
Formation from 1960.
      By the way, the final shape of phrasing she adopted can itself
be viewed metalinguistically as a new machine out of many old parts :)

--Brian MacWhinney