Post-docs in Sociolinguistics?

Pam Norton pcnorton at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 05:31:23 UTC 2005

Hello all,
     I am a doctoral candidate with a master's in communicative disorders and finishing up my doctoral program within the next year in Special Ed (focus on atypical psycholinguistics).  I would love to get more experience on the linguistics end. (The Joint European Masters Clinical Linguistics is interesting but is master's level.)  I am looking to get more experience in qualitative, ethnographic research, especially in sociolinguistics.  I have looked for post-docs in sociolinguistics but apparently don't know where to look.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

  Thanks,

  Pam Norton, M.S., CCC-SLP
  ABD, Joint  Doctoral Program in Special Ed
  University of Berkeley with San Francisco State

  P.S.
     Thanks for everyone's assistance so far with fantastic references on AAE in children and dialect awareness (for those who remember me).  I WILL compile them and send them in soon.  Your advice regarding research equipment has been invaluable and right on. [My research is on whether school speech pathologists are able to distinguish language difference (AAE) from language disorder.]  It's going along fine, I've collected language samples from 4 of the 10 children I need and am so grateful for all your advice regarding research equipment (got the Powerbook G4, am using IMovies and it's great!).