infant "sign"

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Sun Jan 9 14:50:40 UTC 2005

Dear All,

I have already bored Annette with a long account
of my late-talking grandson's use of sign as a
bridge to speech.  So, my non-scientific experience
tells me that baby sign enhanced his early output
(and that of several friends' grandchildren).

I'm trying to see in my mind how that fits with
Adele Abrahamsen's interesting idea of a bimodal
period.  It occurs to me that the statistics of
the same average amount of output at the same age for
the two modalities is not incompatible with the
now popular notion that baby sign creates a bridge
to speech.  If we consider that most hearing children
seem to drop the sign when speech becomes established,
then we would have a situation where early talkers
would go to speech and have X number of words at say
15 months and late talkers would also have similar
numbers of recorded signs at that time--but they
would have few or no words to their credit at that
point were it not for sign.  It seems to me the
comparison groups are "late talkers with signed
input" and "late talkers without signed input."
In that case, does signed input appear to help--
and then if there is a difference, which of
the various alternatives Adele mentions is the
most facilitative.

As for the relationship of the first and fifth
words, that may have been tricky for us to calculate
for my grandson as his first words were not
clearly referential, as his signs were.  So while
first and probably 5th signs did coincide in time
for him, he stayed at 5 words in speech and was
much more productive in sign.

Btw, we gave him the CDI at 15 months and he was
below the 5th percentile for production (counting
signs, which he hadn't started yet either) and
above the 95th for comprehension (and also right
around 50% on the First Words inventory). That's
my favorite image of "average": if someone has
one foot in boiling water and the other in freezing
water, on average you might say she is comfortable.
:)

Cheers,

Barbara Pearson

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D