infant "sign"

Chris Boyatzis boyatzis at bucknell.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:02:09 UTC 2005

Greetings,

Among the many other sources being suggested, I recommend the special issue
of Journal of Nonverbal Behavior that I edited in 2000 (vol. 24, no.
2).  It is devoted to gesture and development, and has 5 articles of
original work.  Several of these will be of interest to you.

Be of good cheer,
Chris Boyatzis

At 07:15 PM 1/8/2005 +0000, Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith wrote:
>I have been asked to find out what serious sceintific studies have been
>done on the effects of teaching hearing infants to use "signs" (I am not
>talking about the real language, ASL or BSL, but a list of lexical signs
>taught to "advance infant communication skills" before they are able to
>vocalise).
>
>I'd appreciate refs, abstracts of refs, of scientific studies, as well as
>any personal experiences.
>Rather urgent please.
>Many thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,
>Annette K-S