Default unstressed initial syllable? re-

Lynn Santelmann santelmannl at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:39:15 UTC 2005

First, let me confess that this is a purely personal question, inspired by
my son's language weirdnesses --

My son (age 3 1/2) is finally acquiring unstressed initial syllables. The
odd thing is that he seems to have a "default" unstressed syllable, namely
"re-". So, at our house we "remember" and "reget". I am a "refessor". We go
to "reseums".

I'm not sure if this is a resurgence of an earlier phase of "over-re" use –
about a year ago, we talked about "recycling retrucks", "recycling rebins",
"recycling reguys", or if it's a different thing. The earlier re- use came
and went spontaneously in about a month, this one is hanging around a bit
longer.

Neither use of re is something I've ever read about, and my quick lit check
didn't reveal anything either. Does anybody have any literature on this?
And could it be related to the somewhat sketchy representation he seems to
have for a lot of new words – we're getting a lot of malaprops these days
(snowflags for snowflakes, Dora the Exploder, etc.)

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn Santelmann, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Applied Linguistics
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751
Portland, OR 97201-0751
phone: 503-725-4140