old code vs Unicode

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 18:05:12 UTC 2005

Dear Info-CHILDES,
    In my response to Peyton Todd's query about IPA fonts,  I was
assuming that he was interested in Unicode IPA.  This was probably an
incorrect assumption.  As a person who has had to deal with the
innumerable incompatibilities of non-Unicode fonts, the choice of
Unicode IPA over the older codepage implementations of IPA seems
natural.  So, I tried to point Peyton toward Unicode solutions.
However, if a person doesn't care about transferring data to other
computers, sending files in to presses, working with non-Roman
languages,  or sharing data with colleagues, then non-Unicode codepage
(ASCII) IPA fonts such as SILIPA, IPATimes, or IPAPhon work fine.

--Brian MacWhinney