infant-directed child speech

Margaret Fleck mfleck at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 16 20:45:22 UTC 2005

Oh, ouch.   My initial question seems to have been easy to misread.   Let
me rephrase a bit.

I've seen a lot of discussion about what adults say to infants, but very
little about what children (e.g. older siblings, playmates of older
siblings) say to infants.   Casual observation suggests that they don't
adopt motherese and, indeed, seem to do some things that adults don't,
such as waving a ball in front of the infant saying "Look David, this is
a BALL."   But that's just a few casual observations and I was curious
about what's known.

This question is probably more interesting when the children are old enough
to talk well (e.g. 3 and up).

???

Margaret