infant-directed child speech

Marilyn Vihman m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 07:26:54 UTC 2005

Margaret -

Elaine Andersen did research on older siblings' speech to their
younger sibs in the 1970s. There's a ref in Snow & Ferguson (1977),
Talking to children, to a 1973 working paper version of this, with
Carolyn Johnson, involving one 8-yr-old (I don't know where or
whether it came out in a journal later). But I am sure she also had a
study of 2- and 4-yr-olds talking to infant sibs. Someone must have
the ref! What I remember of it is that these young children did adopt
a CDS register at least to some extent. Elaine saw it as evidence of
pragmatic sophistication in these young children. -marilyn vihman

>Oh, ouch.   My initial question seems to have been easy to misread.   Let
>me rephrase a bit.
>
>I've seen a lot of discussion about what adults say to infants, but very
>little about what children (e.g. older siblings, playmates of older
>siblings) say to infants.   Casual observation suggests that they don't
>adopt motherese and, indeed, seem to do some things that adults don't,
>such as waving a ball in front of the infant saying "Look David, this is
>a BALL."   But that's just a few casual observations and I was curious
>about what's known.
>
>This question is probably more interesting when the children are old enough
>to talk well (e.g. 3 and up).
>
>???
>
>Margaret

   Marilyn M. Vihman		       |
   Professor, Developmental Psychology  |      /\
   School of Psychology                 |     /  \/\
   University of Wales, Bangor          |  /\/    \ \
   The Brigantia Building	       | /        \ \
   Penrallt Road	          	       |/   =======\=\
   Gwynedd LL57 2AS              	       |
   tel. 44 (0)1248 383 775	       | B A N G O R
   FAX             382 599              |