Do children know what it means to 'talk posh'? as we say in gb english

Amy Sheldon asheldon at tc.umn.edu
Fri Jun 24 20:43:18 UTC 2005

My work on preschoolers (3-5 yrs) and others' on young children, showing
gender differences in conflict management could be interpreted as
*implicit* understanding and skill in making linguisic choices to manage
one's agenda to manipulate social outcomes. I would think this skill is
part of the phenomena you are asking about: the relationship between
linguistic choices ('style') and the exercise of authority and power. 8
yrs.  would be quite late to begin this skill, according the the
literature, but also if you take a common sense approach to what it takes
to live in groups for the first 8 or so years of life, and were to have
any chance of getting what you want using language.

Antecedents in really young kids might be behaviors such as
smiling.

Amy Sheldon