Do children know what it means to 'talk posh'? as we say in gb english

Lise Menn lise.menn at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 24 21:18:04 UTC 2005

Related to this are several papers in Menn & Bernstein Ratner (2000)
Methods for Studying Language Production (Erlbaum).  Look especially at
Elaine Anderson's chapter on register knowledge, focusing on family and
professional role play; Mavis Donahue's on typically-developing and
language-delayed children's strategies when asked to play talk-show
host or guest; and Susan Erviin-Tripp's chapter on peer conversations
including spontaneous courtroom role play {"this court will now come to
order...'}
On Friday, June 24, 2005, at 02:43 PM, Amy Sheldon wrote:

> My work on preschoolers (3-5 yrs) and others' on young children,
> showing
> gender differences in conflict management could be interpreted as
> *implicit* understanding and skill in making linguisic choices to
> manage
> one's agenda to manipulate social outcomes. I would think this skill is
> part of the phenomena you are asking about: the relationship between
> linguistic choices ('style') and the exercise of authority and power. 8
> yrs.  would be quite late to begin this skill, according the the
> literature, but also if you take a common sense approach to what it
> takes
> to live in groups for the first 8 or so years of life, and were to have
> any chance of getting what you want using language.
>
> Antecedents in really young kids might be behaviors such as
> smiling.
>
> Amy Sheldon
>
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Aubrey Nunes wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> What I am asking about is perhaps a very British English phenomenon -
>> or
>> perhaps a point of sensitivity sharper in britain than elsewhere.
>>
>> My question is this: how early and how accurately do children learn to
>> detect corelations between a particular sort of speech and the
>> exercise of
>> authority and power?
>>
>> I once read an unpublished BEd thesis from the early 90's showing
>> that the
>> issues at stake here were pretty well understood by children of
>> around 8;0,
>> as I recall. Since the implications are kind of obvious, I am sure
>> that this
>> must have been well studied and reported.
>>
>> I would be most grateful for any pointers to literature on this.
>>
>> Aubrey
>>

>> Aubrey Nunes,
>> Pigeon Post Box Ltd
>> 52 Bonham Road
>> London, SW2 5HG
>>
>> T:  0207 652 1347
>> E:  aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk
>> I:  www.pigeonpostbox.co.uk

Lise Menn, Professor
Secretary, AAAS-Section Z (Linguistics)

office: Hellems 293
Linguistics Department			office hours Spring '05
University of Colorado				by appointment only
295 UCB						phone 303-492-1609
Boulder, Colorado				office fax 303-492-4416
80309-0295

Lise Menn's home page
http://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/faculty/lmenn/

"Shirley Says: Living with Aphasia"