Lexicon in Bilingual Language Impaired Children

Edith Schlag E_Schlag at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:01:47 UTC 2005

Dear childes-readers,
I would like to ask you for some advice. I work with language impaired children in the Netherlands and one of them has got serious language delay, especially in lexical skills. She eldues to gesticulation in both languages. I'd like to have some advice on what language choice the parents should make. Is it better to have her exposed to one language only or would it be more advisable to let both her parents (German-Spanish and living in a mostly German environment) use their mothertongues? I imagine that two languages are a little overtaxing for the kid. Is simultaneous development of two lexicons two much for a language impaired?
Grateful for any suggestion,
Edith Schlag, MSc, SLT
Delft, The Netherlands