Lexicon in Bilingual Language Impaired Children

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Tue Mar 22 03:36:51 UTC 2005

Dear Edith,
I'm getting ready to go out of town, so I don't
have time for a long answer.  Speaking one or two
languages won't change the child's language status--
whether she's impaired or not.  But if the parents
stop one of the languages, she'll lose the chance
of intimacy with her extended family who speak that
language.  You may want to consult a new book by
Genesee, Paradis, and Crago on bilingual development
and language disorders.  (2004, I believe). It
should give you some better perspective on the question.

Good luck,
Barbara Pearson