Using MAXWD

Carol Slater cslater at alma.edu
Thu May 19 13:35:09 UTC 2005

Dear All,
I wonder if you can help us over another bump in the road? Trying to
locate all two-word utterances in a set of early conversations, we
decided to use MAXWD ("You can...use MAXWD to track all of the
utterances of a certain length.."). Following the example on p. 91, our
first try was to use maxwd +x2 +g2 plus a file name. This produced a
request to "specify count type with +x option." Since 'w' was indicated
for counting words, we tried inserting it in various places, none of
which has worked. (+xw2 along with g2 wouldn't run; substituting +xw2
for +g2 ran but didn't retrieve all of the two word utterances; +x2 +w
+g2 wouldn't run.) MAXWD seems to be the appropriate program, but we
don't seem to be getting the syntax right.
As ever, any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks.
Carol