Amount of time parents spend in conversation with children per week?

Lynn Santelmann santelmannl at pdx.edu
Sat May 28 06:08:09 UTC 2005

Sorry if this has gone out already - I sent it this afternoon and it didn't
seem to go through, so I'm trying again:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about the amount of time in
conversation that parents spend with their children.

  The most oft cited resource was:
  Hart, B. & Risley T. (1995). Meaningful Differences in the Everyday
Experience of Young American Children. Baltimore, MD: Brookes.

  This is the reference that talks about the striking number of different
words children hear, and extrapolates the amount of language experience
children from different SES backgrounds hear.

  In addition,  I received 2 other citations:
Bogaerde, E.M. van den (2000). Input and Interaction in Deaf Families,
2000, Utrecht: LOT (wwwlot.let.uu.nl)
Weijer, J. van de
(2002).  <http://www.ling.lu.se/persons/Joost/Texts/gala01.pdf> How much
does an  infant hear in a day? In: J. Costa and M. João Freitas (eds.).
Proceedings  of the GALA2001 Conference on Language Acquisition (pp.
279-282). Lisboa: Associação Portuguesa de Linguistíca.

Most studies address the issue of "how much input" with a tally of
number  of words, rather than total time. (Though, I suppose one can be
converted  into the other.)

van de Weijer (2002) recorded all input to an infant in the Netherlands
for  several months. This infant received about 20 minutes a day of direct
interaction with the parents and/or caregivers. However, the infant's older
sister (age 2) spent approximately 90 minutes PER DAY (60% of the recorded
data) either addressing (45 min) or being addressed by (45 min) an adult.
Since the recordings were made for the infant and not the older
different.

This is a 2 year old in an academic family in the Netherlands, so we
should  probably be hesitant to generalize this to U.S. American families,
but it  makes me all the more suspicious of the oft cited "38.5 minutes"
PER WEEK  of "meaningful conversation" with parents. (The author of that
figure has clearly never driven home with my son!)

  Lynn

(Thanks specifically to:
Annick De Houwer
Beppie van den Bogaerde