University of Alberta - Assistant Professor

Kelley Sacco ks7t at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 6 18:38:26 UTC 2005

The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts at the University
of Alberta invites applications for a tenure track position as Assistant
Professor. To fill this position, we are looking for a candidate in
Phonology. We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise
in one (preferably more) of following areas: laboratory phonology,
phonetically grounded phonology, optimality theory, and typology.
Qualified candidates should hold a PhD and demonstrate outstanding
potential for a research career. Responsibilities will include teaching
in both undergraduate and graduate programs, and maintaining an active
research program.

The Department of Linguistics has a strong commitment to empirical and
experimental approaches to linguistic research. Nine full-time,
continuing faculty members are currently pursuing research projects in
experimental phonetics, phonology, syntax and semantics of Amerindian
languages, bilingual language acquisition and language impairment,
cognitive linguistics, corpus linguistics, and the mental lexicon. More
information about the Department can be found at
www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/linguistics/.

Established in 1908 as a board-governed, public institution, the
University of Alberta has earned the reputation of being one of the best
universities in Canada based on our strengths in teaching, research, and
services. The University of Alberta serves over 35,000 students in more
than 200 undergraduate programs and 170 graduate programs
(www.ualberta.ca/). The Faculty of Arts is the oldest and most diverse
faculty on campus, and one of the largest research and teaching centres
in western Canada (www.arts.ualberta.ca). The University's main campus
is located in Edmonton, the vibrant, cosmopolitan capital of the
province of Alberta. The Edmonton metropolitan area is the sixth largest
in the country with a population of approximately one million
(www.edmonton.ca). Edmonton is located only a few hours drive from Banff
and Jasper National Parks, which offer skiing in winter and excellent
hiking and sightseeing in summer.

Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants
should send curriculum vitae, a letter describing their areas of
research interest, samples of publications, and, if available, a
teaching dossier and evaluations of teaching performance to:

Dr John Newman, Chair, Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta,
Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E7, Canada (phone: 780-492-5500; fax: 780-492-0806;
Email: john.newman at ualberta.ca).

Applicants must also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent
to the Chair. Closing Date: November 30 2005. Applications received
after that may be considered if the position is not filled. The
effective date of employment will be July 1, 2006.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.  If suitable Canadian
citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will
be considered.

The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit.  We are committed
to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and
encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including
persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal
persons.

*************************
Debra Elliot, MSc
Department Administrator