phonetically transcribed CDS

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 7 04:46:01 UTC 2006

I'd suggest that "word" isn't the proper level of analysis.  Much of
everyday talk is made up of formulas, cliches,
lexicalized phrases--or whatever you want to call them.  Why is it
important for you to use what is probably an
artificial unit, even for normal adult language?  As for "didjano,"
I'd guess it's a single unit.

Dan

At 07:08 AM 12/5/2006, JAN R EDWARDS wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>While we are on the subject of CDS, I have a question also.
>We are working on developing CDS lexicons for several languages
>(English, Greek, Cantonese, Japanese).  Because we are interested
>in phoneme frequency and phoneme sequence frequency, we need
>to phonetically transcribe and segment the mother's (or other
>caregiver's) speech.  This turns out to be somewhat complicated
>in the case of CDS, because we have to make decisions about
>where the word boundaries should be for infants.  For example,
>how many words in "didja know..."  Is anyone else working
>on this or similar questions in English or other languages?
>
>Yours,
>Jan

Dan I. Slobin, Professor of the Graduate School
Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics

Department of Psychology          email: slobin at berkeley.edu
3210 Tolman #1650                   phone (Dept):  1-510-642-5292
University of California               phone (home): 1-510-848-1769
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650           fax: 1-510-642-5293
USA                                         http://ihd.berkeley.edu/slobin.htm