A Rose By Any other Name

Keith Nelson k1n at psu.edu
Thu Dec 7 11:59:17 UTC 2006

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:12:58 -0500
To: M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk, k1n at psu.edu
From: Keith Nelson <k1n at psu.edu>
Subject: CDS, Keith Nelson

Matthew, I tried to send this to you and all, but not sure it went
through.   Would you please share and also instruct me on right
"send" procedure I should have used ?   All the best,  Keith

Matthew and all.  Thanks.   All very interesting comments and sources.

I would like to add just a few comments, much in line with those of
Dan Slobin, that there are many differentiations that are important
and that a "preferred" general term may not be really that helpful.

	The language input that the child "draws upon" (e.g. Nelson,
1980)  is what matters for the individual child's progress, and that
attended-to input can be overheard from many ages and sources of
speakers and other attended-to input may be in a variety of ways
"adjusted" or "directed" to the child in terms of the momentary
context, the ongoing relationship, and the speaker's awareness of the
child's current language repertoire.   Whenever we can, by both
naturalistic and experimental techniques it is helpful to analyze and
discuss in terms of  many of these differentiations.

	As far as history of terms goes, I suspect there is quite a
bit more out there.  I will point to just a few examples that with
brief digging I have to share.

	In 1978-1985 already there were review-extension chapters,
each referring to earlier studies by many authors ,  by Gleason &
Weintraub (78) Cross & colleagues(85), and Nelson (80, 81, 82)
Examples of terms
	Gleason & W   input language, mother-child speech, father-child speech,
		adult-child speech
	Cross et al.    maternal speech style, maternal speech,
maternal conversational
style, maternal speech adjustments
	Nelson    conversational, semantic, and syntactic input,
maternal input,
		carriers and subtypes of carriers in input (carrying
particular semantic
   and/or syntactic structures)
necessary, sufficient, catalytic, and irrelevant components of --
	input, mother-child conversation, language input

	Other fairly early work and exploration of terms occurred in
several papers that I collaborated on with John Bonvillian.   Again,
with very brief glancing back, the following terms can be spotted in
78 :    parental talk to children , mother talk to children , sibling
talk to children , parental style

	Again, thanks.   Cheers,  Keith  Nelson

a few refs:

.		Cross, T. , Nienhuys, T. G., & Kirkman, M. (1985)
Parent-child iteraction with receptively disabled children: Some
determinants of maternal speech style.   In K. E. Nelson (Ed.),
Children's language, Vol. 5. Erlbaum.

Gleason, J B & Weintraub, S  (1978) Input language and the
acquisition of communicative competence.  In K E Nelson Ed.
Children's Language, Volume 1 Halstead/Wiley.

Nelson, K. E. (1977). Facilitating children's syntax acquisition.
Developmental Psychology, 13, 101-107.
Nelson, K. E. (1980). Theories of the child's acquisition of syntax:
A look at rare events and at necessary, catalytic, and irrelevant
components of mother-child conversation. Annals of the New York
Academy of Sciences, 345, 45-67.
Nelson, K. E. (1981). Toward a rare-event cognitive comparison theory
of syntax acquisition. In P. S. Dale & D. Ingram (Eds.), Child
language: An international perspective (pp. 229-240).

Nelson, K. E. (1982). Experimental gambits in the service of language
acquisition theory. In S.A. Kuczaj (Ed.), Language development,
syntax and semantics. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
Nelson, K. E., & Bonvillian, J. D. (1978). Early language
development: Conceptual growth and related processes between 2 and 4
1/2 years of age. In K. E. Nelson (Ed.), Children's language, Vol. 1.
New York: Gardner/Wiley.

--

Keith Nelson
Professor of Psychology