Use of "He don?t" etc. by Sarah's mother

Carson Sch ütze cschutze at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 12 06:23:52 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

Can anyone point me to literature that observes/discusses that in the
transcripts of Sarah from the Brown et al. Harvard study, the mother (and
also the father, but we hear less of him) uses "don't" with 3rd person
singular subjects, in apparent free variation with "doesn't"?

Thanks.

--

Prof. Carson T. Schutze     Department of Linguistics, UCLA
Email: cschutze at ucla.edu    Box 951543, Los Angeles CA  90095-1543

Office: Campbell Hall 2224B     Deliveries/Courier: 3125 Campbell Hall
Campus Mail Code: 154303    www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/cschutze/
Phone: (310)995-9887        Fax: (310)206-8595