Transferring Files from Word to CLAN

Bracha Nir-Sagiv brachan at post.tau.ac.il
Mon Jan 16 21:56:43 UTC 2006

Dear Dongping,
I also experienced the same problems when converting from Word to CLAN.
What does the trick for me is first converting the file from *.doc to
*.txt (under type, choose Encoded text if you're working with Windows
2000, then choose UNICODE), and then renaming the *.txt file to *.cha (I
find that copying directly from the txt file usually also results in
double spaces). However, if you would still like to copy directly from a
Word or Txt file into CED, you can use the following command: CHSTRING
+q *.cha -- this command removes blank lines and add tabs after colons
(note that this will result in a *.str.cex file in your output directory).
Hope this helps,
Bracha Nir-Sagiv