Transferring Files from Word to CLAN

Dongping Zheng dongping.zheng at uconn.edu
Mon Jan 23 19:24:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just wanted to summarize the double space problems when pasting logs from
word to CLAN:

1. it is a Word problem, Brian suggested to do a query replace for hard
returns in Word.

2. From Bracha Nir-Sagiv: "What does the trick for me is first converting
the file from *.doc to *.txt (under type, choose Encoded text if you're
working with Windows 2000, then choose UNICODE), and then renaming the *.txt
file to *.cha (I find that copying directly from the txt file usually also
results in double spaces). However, if you would still like to copy directly
from a Word or Txt file into CED, you can use the following command:
CHSTRING +q *.cha -- this command removes blank lines and add tabs after
colons (note that this will result in a *.str.cex file in your output
directory)."

3. Use the ren command in the command line: type ren *.str.cex *.cha and
that should do the trick to run commends (Bracha Nir-Sagiv). Or re-save the
*.str.cex to *.cha (Sigal).

Using the CHSTRING +q *.cha commend and re-save to *.cha did the trick for
me. Thank you again for all your help!

Dongping

Dongping Zheng, ABD
Department of Educational Psychology