question about DVD camcorders

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jun 15 22:06:17 UTC 2006

Dear Aarre and Info-CHILDES,

    Let me get a bit more technical, since this stuff is actually
quite complicated.   First, the material Dave Touretzky has collected
is designed to decrypt  the CSS (content scrambling system) used for
Hollywood DVDs.  This is not the problem for us, since the DVD videos
that are produced by home cameras or home computer programs do not
use CSS.  Our goal is to play a homemade DVD video through
QuickTime.  You would think this would be easy, but unfortunately it
is not. The video on a home DVD video is stored in MPEG-2 files and
you can navigate about the DVD to locate these files.  The problem is
that the MPEG2 plugin that Apple sells for Quicktime has not been
seriously updated for years.  Once Apple produced iDVD, it appears to
have lost interest in the MPEG2 plugin as a product.  We can see this
easily by playing the MPEG2 files on the DVD in the separate VCL or
MPEG2Player applications.
      The problem is that CLAN uses QuickTime to play media.  To
rewrite CLAN to play directly using VCL would take months of
programming, if it is possible.  I spent the whole afternoon trying
to find a way around this barrier with no luck.  I wish I could
report better news on this front, but for now I have to just repeat
my warning that people who want to use CLAN should not record to DVD
video format.

--Brian