question about DVD camcorders

Gedeon Deák deak at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 26 21:33:57 UTC 2006

We are trying the JVC Everios. Yes, you should back up. We're using a
raid for that in the lab; cards and drives are cheap enough that it's
not prohibitive to put one together. However, for later back-up the
file transfer rate is way faster than the capture rate from mini-DVs,
so if you're recording a lot of data from the field, there's a
significant time savings compared to mini-DVs.
The video quality is about as good/bad as the average mid-priced
consumer-level DV (e.g., not as good as "pro-sumer" cameras, but way
better than 1/4 CCD mini-cams...the Everios give "true" NTSC in the
highest-quality mode, or something like it). The Everios are small
(no tape mechanisms), so they're less obtrusive than most mini-DVs,
which is nice for observational studies.
Can't yet speak to reliability, durability or customer service on
Everios. So don't read this as an endorsement but as an interim
update from a new user. Anyone who's really interested can email me
back in another month or so, & I'll provide a more detailed critique.