early plural comprehension?

Gordon, Peter pgordon at exchange.tc.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 8 16:38:01 UTC 2006

Susan Carey's group at Harvard esp. Mathieu LeCorre has been looking at
this a lot, and also David Barner.  From what I remember, the notion of
plural is first understood through verb-based constructions such as
"there are ...." versus "there is ..."  and only later becomes salient
as the -s marker on the noun.  Not sure if I have this right, but they
would have a better story on this.

Peter Gordon, Associate Professor
Biobehavioral Sciences Department
1152 Thorndike Hall