early plural comprehension?

Lise Menn lise.menn at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 8 17:33:51 UTC 2006

For a single-child data point, you can look at Peters, A., and Menn,
L. (1993) False starts and filler syllables: Ways to learn
grammatical morphemes. Language  69:4 (1993). pp. 742-777. Daniel was
still demonstrably not comprehending the plural marker at 2;2.19, but
started to produce it (and presumably to comprehend it??) about two
weeks later.
	Lise Menn

On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:47 AM, Michael Tomasello wrote:

> Brian,
>
> The youngest children to add English plural -s in a production
> experiment with novel verbs are, to my knowledge, 21-22 months (4
> of 10 children at least once).  I know of no preferential looking
> experiments examining this with novel verbs.  Reference:
>
> Tomasello, M., Akhtar, N., & Dodson, K., Rekau, L. (1997).
> Differential productivity in young children's use of nouns and
> verbs.  Journal of Child Language, 24, 373-87.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike

Prof. Lise Menn, Hellems 293  Linguistics Department, University of
Colorado

295 UCB                           phone 303-492-1609

Boulder, Colorado            office fax 303-492-4416

80309-0295

  Lise Menn's home page http://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/faculty/
lmenn/

  "Shirley Says: Living with Aphasia" http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/