Issues with MLU and FREQ

Sean Devitt sdevitt at tcd.ie
Mon Mar 20 16:42:45 UTC 2006

Dear Brian
In the email from Dongping Zheng <dongping.zheng at uconn.edu>  there is a comment
about using “–t%mor” in the command line when calculating MLU. I cannot
remember seeing reference to this in any other exchange on MLU or in the CLAN
manual.

There is a major difference between including “–t%mor” in the command line and
omitting it. Could you explain just why this might be so? I would have expected
that the number of utterances would be somewhat related (e.g. half the number
when “-t%mor” is included) and the same for the morphemes, but there seems to
be absolutely no relation.
I give an example from Wells’ data below:
When I used the command  “mlu +t*CHI -t%mor +f jonath*.cha”, the result for the
file: Jonath08.cha was as follows:
Number of: utterances = 50, morphemes = 241
	Ratio of morphemes over utterances = 4.820
	Standard deviation = 3.882

When I used the command “mlu +t*CHI +f jonath*.cha (leaving out “-t%mor”)”, the
result was:
Number of: utterances = 252, morphemes = 691
	Ratio of morphemes over utterances = 2.742
	Standard deviation = 2.070
The same situation arose for all the files in this corpus – calculations of
utterances and morphemes for the two commands that bore no relation to one
another.
My question is: which formula is to be taken as the appropriate one for
calculating MLU? Obviously there is a huge difference in the calculation.

A second related question: How reliable is MLU considered to be as an index of
development nowadays? Obviously this is an important issue, for example in
attempting to find at what point features like regular past tense appear.

Finally, a question about FREQ and the number of utterances examined. The output
of FREQ for any feature in the CHI tier contains a line - ### *CHI:, where ###
is some number. I presumed this was the number of utterances of the child in
that transcript. Obviously this cannot be the case.
Below, for example, is the output of FREQ in the file Jonath08.cha referred to
above for irregular pasts (command "freq +d2 +t*CHI +t%mor +s"*&PAST*" +f
jonath*.cha"). It was necessary to include the MOR tier to find "*&PAST*". What
DOES the figure 310 in this case refer to? It seems to bear no relation to the
number of utterances calculated for MLU.

@ID: en|wells|CHI|2;11.29||||Target_Child||
310 *CHI:
1 v:aux|have&past
3 v|be&past&13s