reverse mutual exclusivity?

Gedeon Deák deak at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 22 22:21:52 UTC 2006

Nice example, which might say more about knowledge of language use
rather than so-called mutual exclusivity (M.E.). I can't address the
bilingual metalinguistic/code-switching issue, but regarding more
general issues of word learning and comprehension, here's an analysis
of related issues:

The literature on homonymy is most relevant. Check out the following
(all w/ monolingual samples, I think). They do not paint a uniform
(monochromatic?) picture but the general trend is that preschool
children can interpret homonyms if reasonable contextual information
supports the interpretation. However, even fairly old children can be
"thrown" by low-frequency homonyms in sentential/story context (e.g.,
"The /har/ ran across the road" where"hair" is much more familiar &
retrievable than "hare").
Here are some relevant references:
Children's resistance to homonymy: An experimental study of
pseudohomonyms
  Journal of child language  [0305-0009]  Casenhiser, Devin  yr:2005
vol:32  iss:2  pg:319  -343
Children's difficulty in learning homonyms
  Journal of child language  [0305-0009]  Doherty, Martin  yr:2004
vol:31  iss:1  pg:203  -214
Possible explanations for children's literal interpretations of homonyms
  Journal of child language  [0305-0009]  Mazzocco, Michèle  yr:2003
vol:30  iss:4  pg:879  -904
A comparison of homonym and novel word learning: The role of
phonotactic probability and word frequency
  Journal of child language  [0305-0009]  Storkel, Holly  yr:2005
vol:32  iss:4  pg:827  -853

The issue of so-called M.E. (implied by "reverse ME") is also relevant,
and people often use "ME" in ways that aren't theoretically or
empirically supported.  There is little evidence that children (of at
least 2 years) generally assume that every class of referents has one
label and each label refers to a unique (narrow) class of referents.
The evidence for this position is too extensive to summarize here, but
for a slightly out-of-date review see:
	Deák, G. O. (2000). Chasing the fox of word learning: Why
“constraints” fail to capture it. Developmental Review, 20, 29-80.
The references Roberta sent also are relevant; I won't rehash them.

Children readily show what Bill Merriman called the "disambiguation
effect": when they hear a novel word in an ostensive context, all else
being equal they tend to map it onto an unnamed referent rather than a
familiar referent with a known (common) label. However, that tendency
has a number of possible explanations, many not requiring an underlying
assumption that things only have one legitimate label (or description).
And, just to be completely clear, there is little or no support for the
idea that children have a kind of representational inflexibility, such
that they cannot represent an entity as belonging to only on category.
To the contrary, for example, 2- to 4-year-olds readily and robustly
produce (or accept) multiple appropriate labels for objects, people, or
story characters:
	Clark, E. V. & Svaib, T. A. (1997). Speaker perspective and reference
in young children. First Language.
	Deák, G. O. & Maratsos, M. (1998). On having complex representations
of things: Preschoolers use multiple words for objects and people.
Developmental Psychology, 34, 224-240.
	Deák, G. O., Yen, L., & Pettit, J. (2001). By any other name: When
will preschoolers produce multiple labels for a referent? Journal of
Child Language, 28, 787-804.

There are a few papers showing "true" ME effects (i.e., rejection of
new word or replacement of old word (Merriman & Bowman, 1989; Deák et
al 2001). Typically though the effects are small, but larger (it seems)
when cognitive load is high (Liittschwager & Markman, 1994; Deák &
Wagner, 2003). However, the Deak et al 2001 data show that
rejection/replacement is an odd effect, and possibly an artifact: in
short, right after learning a new word 3-/4-year-olds sometimes don't
use or don't produce a familiar word for the same referent. However,
there is nothing systematic about which word they don't produce--as if
there is some maximum number of "legitimate" words they'll produce (in
our studies, 2 to 3), and they choose from all the options...not at
random, but not predictably either. The behavior looks like stochastic
low-probability inhibition of lexical retrieval, possibly with specific
items weighted by priming of that item. The implication is that this
suppression doesn't say anything conceptually important about
children's commitment to symbolic mappings (i.e., they're not committed
to rejecting a word that they failed to produce on one occasion). I
can't yet prove this account, but it's the best "fit" for the limited
data available.
In a recent series of studies (under review; available on request) we
showed that there is a weak, transitory ME-like effect for words,
facts, and pictorial symbols, w/ no difference in magnitude across the
three kinds of items. Notably, the effect disappears after 2 exposures
to the novel information, and, again, it is obtained under a relatively
high cognitive load (we haven't experimentally manipulated this yet).
Best account: when learning new info. with many-to-many associative
mappings, there is a slight, temporary inhibitory effect for
overlapping mappings. In other words, Anderson's old fan effect is
content-general, and accounts for "true" ME effects.

Two more brief notes (almost done!). First, there is converging data
that children's pragmatic expectations influence the disambiguation
effect: that is, children learn to expect grown-ups to use a restricted
lexicon when talking to them (i.e., using shared words for a referent
whenever possible (something like a Gricean principle of clarity). See,
e.g., Diesendruck, Dev Psych 2005.

Second, Perner, Sprung, Doherty et al have proposed that young children
have trouble generating alternate perspectives (i.e., dissimilar
representations with positive truth-values wrt a referent), and this
could account for ME effects. It is a clever account with some
intriguing supporting evidence:
Perner, J., Strummer, S., Sprung, M., & Doherty, M. (2002). Theory of
mind finds its Piagetian perspective: why alternative naming comes with
understanding belief. Cognitive Development, 17, 1451–1472.
but is disconfirmed (as I read it) by other evidence, particularly:
Deák & Maratsos (1998)
Deák, Yen, & Pettit (2001)
Deák, G. O. & Enright, B. (in press). Choose and choose again:
Appearance-reality errors and the logic of questioning. Developmental
Science.

Best conclusions for now:
	Disambiguation is at least in large part due to pragmatic
expectations. Exposure to a multilingual environment, and
situation-specific information about an interlocutor's lexical
knowledge, seems to "set" children's expectations about the lexicon
that interlocutor will use. (We do not yet know how robust or precise
this process is.)
	"True" rejection/replacement effects, including of homonyms, are
generally small, transitory, content-general (i.e., not specific to
novel words) and probably modulated by factors such as lack of
contextual supporting information and cognitive load.
	Implications for the example: Given the apparent pragmatic basis of
disambiguation effects, there is no reason why a child couldn't induce
the expectation that speakers of L1 use different lexemes (i.e.,
phonological forms) than speakers of L2 for the conventional (i.e.,
common) forms in each language that refer to a single referent
category. So hearing someone known to be an L2 speaker using the L1
phonological form would violate this expectation. The child might
respond in ways that reflect this expectancy violation. We know that
children sometimes verbalize their doubt about a speaker's locution
(whether or not they are committed to rejecting the locuation), and so
a verbal statement of disbelief or rejection would not be unexpected.

Anyone who knows of other findings that contradict these conclusions,
please tell me. Thanks!

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Marnie Arkenberg wrote:

> Dear Info-CHILDES,
>    A colleague mentioned that her bilingual 3 year old refuses to
> accept the notion that an object can have the same same in both
> English and Hebrew. Can anyone guide me towards literature that
> discusses this sort of thing?
> Cheers,
> Marnie Arkenberg
>
> Marnie E. Arkenberg, Ph.D.
> NIMH Postdoctoral Fellow
> 254F Baker Hall
> Department of Psychology
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> (412) 268-7986

Gedeon O. Deák, Ph.D.
Department of Cognitive Science
9500 Gilman Dr.								(858) 822-3352
University of California, San Diego				fax    (858) 534-1128
La Jolla, CA 92093-0515				   http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~deak/