reverse mutual exclusivity?

Roberta Golinkoff roberta at UDel.Edu
Tue Mar 21 02:28:16 UTC 2006

here are a couple of relevant resources:

Au, T. & Glusman, M. (1990). The principle of mutual exclusivity in
word learning: to honor or not to honor? Child Development, 61,
1474-1490.

Mervis, C. B., Golinkoff, R. M., & Bertrand, J. (1994). Two-year-olds
readily learn multiple labels
for the same basic level category. Child Development, 65, 971-991.

Blewitt, P., Golinkoff, R. M., & Alioto, A. (2000). Do toddlers have
label preferences? A possible
explanation for word refusals. First Language, 20, 253-272.

Hope these are helpful to you!
Best, Roberta Golinkoff

On Mar 20, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Marnie Arkenberg wrote:

> Dear Info-CHILDES,
>    A colleague mentioned that her bilingual 3 year old refuses to
> accept the notion that an object can have the same same in both
> English and Hebrew. Can anyone guide me towards literature that
> discusses this sort of thing?
> Cheers,
> Marnie Arkenberg
>
> Marnie E. Arkenberg, Ph.D.
> NIMH Postdoctoral Fellow
> 254F Baker Hall
> Department of Psychology
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> (412) 268-7986

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Please check out our doctoral program at
	http://www.udel.edu/educ/graduate/