reverse mutual exclusivity?

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira ellmcf at nus.edu.sg
Tue Mar 21 01:16:01 UTC 2006

Dear Marnie,

I've noticed a similar phenomenon in my data. My children deliberately distorted similar-sounding words in their different languages in order to make them maximally different, starting at the one-word stage. They did this by manipulating segments and/or prosody. I discuss a few examples in a paper published in the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics that I can send electronically to you, if you want. More detail is in my book _Three is a Crowd?_ (Multilingual Matters, 2006), especially chapters 5, 6 and 10.
I find this very, very interesting. If your colleague (or you!) should investigate this further, please let me know?
Best

Madalena

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
Dept. English Language and Literature