warning on formats and media - Footnote

Peyton Todd peytontodd at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 24 07:29:35 UTC 2006

A point I forgot to mention - if you follow my method of saving your video on a hard disk, do not use that hard disk for other purposes. As you know, hard disks are mechanical objects, like cars, and they wear out with use. Store the hard disk you use for backing up video in the closet and bring it out only when you're adding more video to it. Or leave it connected to your computer but don't turn it on except when backing up to it. Most of those they make nowadays have on-off switches. Also, many have BOTH Firewire AND USB connections, so they'll be sure to work on the new computer you buy some day. Check these features before you buy, of course.

And if you're really, really worried, as I am, then do as I do: both an MPG backup to DVDs, and an AVI back up to a hard disk!

Peyton