phonological perception in Japanese speakers

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Mon Mar 27 20:38:33 UTC 2006

Hi friends,

I have a student who wants to investigate how context helps Japanese
speakers disambiguate among similar sounds (e.g., /r,l/).  I thought I
remembered a recent mention of a study in which Japanese speakers who
produced /r,l/ distinctions persisted in having perceptual confusions.
But I didn't make note of the study.  Does anyone know of this study or
any that show the help that context plays in making perceptual
decisions?

Thanks for any help.

Carolyn Chaney