phonological perception in Japanese speakers

cnarayan at umich.edu cnarayan at umich.edu
Mon Mar 27 20:52:13 UTC 2006

If you're looking for literature on the effects of phonetic context on
/r,l/ perception by Japanese adults, I would start with Logan, Lively,
and Pisoni (1991); Lively, Pisoni and Logan (1993); Lively, et al.
(1993, 1994).  All of these have appeared in JASA. Also, check out the
Pisoni chapter in "Speech Perception and Linguistic Experience"
(Ed.W.Strange, 1995).

This stuff is pretty old, but a good place to start!

-chandan

Quoting Carolyn Chaney <cchaney at sfsu.edu>:

> Hi friends,
>
> I have a student who wants to investigate how context helps Japanese
> speakers disambiguate among similar sounds (e.g., /r,l/).  I thought
> I remembered a recent mention of a study in which Japanese speakers
> who produced /r,l/ distinctions persisted in having perceptual
> confusions.  But I didn't make note of the study.  Does anyone know
> of this study or any that show the help that context plays in making
> perceptual decisions?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Carolyn Chaney

chandan r. narayan