Perception on complex onsets

Joe Stemberger stemberg at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Nov 8 01:49:48 UTC 2006

Hi, Yvan.

I presented a paper on cluster perception in adult English about 20
years ago, but it has never been written up and published (the first
author went off into industry and took the poster materials with him,
so...):

Yuchtman, M., Stemberger, J.P., & Martin, C. (1987). "Recognition of
consonant clusters". Paper presented at the meeting of the Acoustical
Society of America, Miami, November.

We had all possible English onsets followed by the vowel /a/ with no
coda:  /ba, bla, bra, pa, .../
People were free to wrote down exactly what consonants they heard (if any).
We looked at the speech in quiet (as recorded, with stimuli normalized
for loudness), and with signal-to-noise ratios of +10dB, +5dB, and 0dB.

I went back and looked at the results with your /gl/ question in mind.

There basically is no effect of place or voicing in stops in quiet,
+10dB, or +5dB --- except for a lot of error on /bla/ (perceived as /la/
or less commonly /wa/). No special error rates on velars.

At 0dB, though, the error rates shot way up for all clusters starting
with /g/ (/gla, gra, gwa/), and for /dwa/; errors in which subjects
reported just the second consonant accounted for about 25% of trials.
Similar errors for /kla, kra, kwa/ occurred at about 5% of trials.
(And /twa/ was perceived as /wa/ 12% of the time.)
And rates of similar errors on /bra/ and /dra/ were also at 5% (though
/bla/ also had 15% of trials perceived as /wa/).

So there wasn't anything to pull out /gl/ as special, but a general
problem with /g/, plus a few other difficult clusters.

Of course, the phonetics of English /kl/ and /gl/ is different from in
French, so I'm not sure how well this generalizes.

On the non-perceptual side:
Voicing is phonetically hardest to produce in velars, and it's common
for English-learning children to have [k] but not [g].
Even if this child has [g] for singleton onsets, perhaps the reduction
of this cluster to [l] might be a reflection of the difficulty of [g]?

---Joe Stemberger
Linguistics
UBC

Yvan Rose pravi: