ser-estar-be study

Carmen Silva-Corvalan csilva at usc.edu
Wed Nov 29 17:46:34 UTC 2006

I am currently examining data from a Spanish-English bilingual infant (1;6-3;6) to study the acquisition of the opposition “ser-estar” (with a secondary focus on “be”). I have found a good number of studies of “ser-estar” acquisition by L2 adult learners but nothing on early acquisition by developing bilingual or Spanish monolingual children (one exception is a study being done in Mexico under the direction of Cecilia Rojas Nieto).

I would be grateful for any bibliographic suggestions on the acquisition of “ser-estar-be” by bilingual infants, and “ser-estar” by monolingual infants.

Carmen Silva-Corvalán