ser-estar-be study

Nan Ratner nratner at hesp.umd.edu
Wed Nov 29 18:10:29 UTC 2006

We actually had a pre-candidacy paper written on this topic using Mexican Spanish-speaking monolingual children many years ago by Catalina Johnson. I can try to find the hard copy and send it. We have lost track of Ms. Johnson. If I find the copy, I will send you info off list to get your mailing address.

Nan Ratner

Nan Bernstein Ratner, Professor and Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
0100 Lefrak Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
nratner at hesp.umd.edu
http://www.bsos.umd.edu/hesp/facultyStaff/ratnern.htm
301-405-4213
301-314-2023 (fax)

>>> Carmen Silva-Corvalan <csilva at usc.edu> 11/29/06 12:46 PM >>>
I am currently examining data from a Spanish-English bilingual infant (1;6-3;6) to study the acquisition of the opposition “ser-estar” (with a secondary focus on “be”). I have found a good number of studies of “ser-estar” acquisition by L2 adult learners but nothing on early acquisition by developing bilingual or Spanish monolingual children (one exception is a study being done in Mexico under the direction of Cecilia Rojas Nieto).

I would be grateful for any bibliographic suggestions on the acquisition of “ser-estar-be” by bilingual infants, and “ser-estar” by monolingual infants.

Carmen Silva-Corvalán