devices for recording child language

Kristina de Korsak kdekorsak at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 25 03:42:36 UTC 2006

I am recording three siblings (ages: 14 months, 3 years, 6 years) in
a variety of spontaneous contexts. I was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions about what type of equipment to purchase as mine is very
outdated. My focus is not on phonology, although it seems a shame to
compromise on recording quality. It could be compatible with Mac or
PC (or even integrated into a Mac or PC). Ideally, I would like
something I can set up with a cordless micro splitter and let run
discretely while they play (in various rooms). If at all possible, I
was hoping to find something that will record video too, but with a
decent sound capability in order to make sure I at least have the
audio track available if they leave the pictureframe. I have not had
much luck finding what I am looking for on my own. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Kristina de Korsak