Mangled Easter Eggs - quote ???

sues at xtra.co.nz sues at xtra.co.nz
Tue Sep 26 05:40:04 UTC 2006

Dear all

I wonder if anyone can help out in a moment of (small) crisis:

I am looking for a quote about English prosody being akin to a row of brightly
coloured Easter Eggs coming along on a conveyor belt until they go through a
washer/mangler - the author likens the resulting mess of squished up silver
paper and chocolate eggs and yolks to disentangling the English speech stream.

I found it magnificent and used the image as title for a paper I'm giving this
weekend!! But I haven't been able to find the source as I am not at home at the
moment.

I think it was in James Morgan's [ed] "Signal to Syntax: Bootstrapping into ..." from
Brown University but when I google Mangled Easter Eggs or similar I can't get
anything.

Deeply grateful for any kind help!

Sue Sullivan
Christchurch