Mangled Easter Eggs - quote ???

Lise Menn lise.menn at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 26 18:18:30 UTC 2006

importantly, most phoneticians now strongly disagree with this
metaphor, because although the information about each sound is spread
out before and after the place where the hearer thinks it 'is', that
spreading is orderly, not random; it contributes to our understanding
by giving us time to integrate the information.
	Lise Menn

On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:29 AM, Caroline Bowen wrote:

> "TRIVIA: Old Question: Who compared speech to raw Easter eggs being
> smashed
> between the rollers of a wringer? What point was he trying to make?
> Answer:
> C. F. Hockett, A Manual of Phonology (p. 210):
>
> Imagine a row of Easter eggs carried along a moving belt; the eggs
> are of
> various sizes, and variously colored, but not boiled. At a certain
> point,
> the belt carries the row of eggs between the two rollers of a
> wringer, which
> quite effectively smash them and rub them more or less into each
> other. The
> flow of eggs before the wringer represents the series of impulses
> from the
> phoneme source; the mess that emerges from the wringer represents
> the output
> of the speech transmitter. At a subsequent point, we have an
> inspector whose
> task it is to examine the passing mess and decide, on the basis of
> broken
> and unbroken yolks, the variously spread-out albumen, and the
> variously
> colored bits of shell, the nature of the flow of eggs which previously
> arrived at the wringer... The inspector represents the hearer."
> http://www.linguistics.ku.edu/news/archive/KULD041498.shtml
>
> Hockett, CF (1955). A Manual of Phonology. Baltimore: Waverly Press.
>
> Enjoy your presentation!
> Caroline
>
> Caroline Bowen PhD
> Speech Language Pathologist
> 9 Hillcrest Road
> Wentworth Falls NSW 2782
> Australia
> e: cbowen at ihug.com.au
> i: http://speech-language-therapy.com/
> t: 61 2 4757 1136

Lise Menn                      Office: 303-492-1609
Linguistics Dept.           Fax: 303-413-0017
295 UCB                         Hellems 293
University of Colorado
Boulder CO 80309-0295

Professor of Linguistics,
University of  Colorado, University of Hunan
Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]

Lise Menn's home page
http://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/faculty/lmenn/

"Shirley Says: Living with Aphasia"
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/Shirley4.pdf

Japanese version of "Shirley Says"
http://www.bayget.com/inpaku/kinen9.htm

Academy of Aphasia
http://www.academyofaphasia.org/

Notation is like money: a good servant but a bad master.