Coding AAE features with Language Sample Transcription Programs

Owen, Amanda J amanda-owen at uiowa.edu
Thu Jul 5 13:01:27 UTC 2007

Hi,
I believe there is a utility termed SALTIN that worked prior to the
unicode conversion and made the process of transfer possible. You still
had to handcheck non-standard SALT codes and unintelligible utterances
for conversion (e.g. CHAT only accepts xxx whereas SALT uses 1 x per
syllable).  I haven't had any success with it since the unicode
conversion.

  It's currently easier to convert from CHAT to SALT and, if you are
using the research version, SALT has pretty powerful search tools.  It
doesn't have VOCD - but it does allow a variety of ways to standardize
transcripts in terms of length, allowing for use of NDR and TNW.

  If you get to the point of applying D, feel free to email me for tips
and thoughts about interpretation.  Laura DeThorne is also quite
familiar with the program and its application to a large number of
transcripts.

Amanda

Amanda J. Owen Ph.D. CCC-SLP
amanda-owen at uiowa.edu