inter-innateness interaction

Keith Nelson k1n at psu.edu
Fri Jul 13 19:21:53 UTC 2007

Dear Joko and colleagues,  As comments already
indicate it is very reasonable to take seriously
not only innate biological factors but the
multiple ways in which children learn from their
environment.   It is also very important to keep
in mind that overall proportions in a sample of
mothers of children do not create an average THE
MOTHER or THE CHILD that should receive
theoretical interpretation.
	Instead individual children vary
tremendously and so do individual sources of
input such as mothers, siblings, fathers, and
daycare/preschool personnel that the particular
child actually interacts with.  Our work and that
of many others demonstrates how in experimental
causative designs it is possible to see how
individual children have been caused to acquire
particular structures  by both prototypical and
unprototypical input patterns that carry
structural challenges of many types for the
individual children.

Keith Nelson

--

Keith Nelson