inter-innateness interaction

Bruno Estigarribia aananda at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:25:43 UTC 2007

>  Our work and that of many others demonstrates how in experimental
> causative designs it is possible to see how individual children have
> been caused to acquire particular structures  by both prototypical and
> unprototypical input patterns that carry structural challenges of many
> types for the individual children.
>
> Keith Nelson

I suggested in my dissertation something like that happens with the
acquisition of English yes/no questions: children who hear fewer
auxiliary-initial yes/no questions learn ynqs through a
structure-building strategy, right to left (cf. Bloom 1970). The child
in my sample who gets substantially more auxiliary-initial "input" uses
a holistic strategy. The evidence is suggestive, but a lot more work is
needed.
Cheers,
Bruno Estigarribia