how to be a speech-language pathologist?

Silliman, Elaine silliman at cas.usf.edu
Fri Jun 29 03:38:01 UTC 2007

Jane ¨C Your question is a complicated one because, in the United States, requirements for certification as a speech-language pathologist requires receiving a Master¡¯s degree from a graduate program accredited by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. Here is some general information plus a web link to the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. Through this link your will find the knowledge and skills that individuals must demonstrate in order to receive their graduate degree. In addition, individuals must pass a national examination and complete a Clinical Fellowship Year in order to apply for national certification.

General Information:

A. A minimum of 75 semester credit hours culminating in a master¡¯s, doctoral, or other recognized post-baccalaureate degree. The graduate education in speech-language pathology must be initiated and completed in a program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

B. Skills in oral and written communication and demonstrated knowledge of ethical standards, research principles, and current professional and regulatory issues.

C. Practicum experiences that encompass the breadth of the current scope of practice with both adults and children (with no specific clock-hour requirements for given disorders or settings) resulting in a minimum of 400 clock hours of supervised practicum, of which at least 375 hours must be in direct client/patient contact and 25 in clinical observation.

D. A 36-week speech- language pathology clinical fellowship that establishes a collaboration between the clinical fellow and a mentor.

E. A maintenance of certification requirement (Standard VII) that went into effect on January 1, 2005 (based on approved continuing education credits).

Web link: http://www.asha.org/about/membership-certification/handbooks/slp/slp_standards.htm#Std_IV

Sincerely,

Elaine Silliman

Elaine R. Silliman, Ph.D.